In the heart of Midtown Atlanta, Cheshire Bridge Road is a historic street that has been the center of culture and commerce for many years. The area was first settled in 1804 by John Skinner, who built a log cabin on the site where Piedmont Center now stands. Skinner died shortly after moving to his new home, but his family continued to live there until they moved out during the Civil War. After being abandoned for several decades, people started moving into the neighborhood again when developers built homes in between 1890 and 1910. These homes have since been torn down or remodeled beyond recognition, leaving only tiny pockets here and there that still exist today as reminders of how things used to be:
So, what do the locals think about this major shift in the character of the area? Well, that depends on who you ask. Some are worried about losing history and character as new developments take over. Others worry about losing local businesses and culture, or even their community.
There are also concerns from residents who say they haven’t been properly notified about changes to their neighborhood—or simply aren’t aware of what’s happening at all.
Cheshire Bridge Road can be traced back to the early 19th century, when it was a dirt road connecting two communities. It was later renamed Cheshire Bridge Road and converted into a toll road, allowing residents of Atlanta to travel across the Chattahoochee River via ferry. In the mid-1920s, construction began on paving over the entire length of Cheshire Bridge Road—this first paving project used bricks instead of concrete.
The Cheshire Bridge Road corridor has been a commercial district since the 1950s. It is located in Midtown Atlanta and is home to many small and large businesses, as well as hotels and restaurants.
We look forward to seeing what they come up with and are excited to be part of the change.